Projects Archives | Page 2 of 2 | Village Cape CodVillage Cape Cod | Page 2
Village Cape Cod

Archive of ‘Projects’ category

Step Stool Redo

One of the main things I noticed as the house was being done was that the closets all are super tall. Both girls (and the baby) can’t reach the top shirt rack of their closets. So I looked into finding step stools for them all. The main thing was that it had to be pretty tall. Alexa could do a shorter one, but Maren and the baby’s closet will be tall for them for a while. Plus they both will need one for their bathrooms.

The best and cheapest one I found by far was Ikea. Of course Kansas City doesn’t have an Ikea anywhere around (although we are getting one in 2014!), however, they do deliver. I was pretty shocked, because the items they are willing to ship are slim pickings. I also picked the natural wood ones so I could do whatever I wanted with them. These are the final step stools I decided on: IkeaStool
Click here for a link to the stool.


I’ve bought other unfinished items from them and they are perfect to stain or paint. I knew they would come without varnish on them.

I started searching around the internet and found tons of people have done Ikea hacks on this stool. The one I really loved was this one:
IkeaHackClick here to see the website with this stool.

It came like this:
Ikea Stool Project (5)

I went through and laid out all of the parts and grabbed the ones I wanted painted verses the ones I was going to stain.

Ikea Stool Project (7)

Ikea Stool Project (8)

I kept hesitating to bring them in because I didn’t want to move them while they were wet or bring in the paint smell into the house, so of course I pushed my luck and it started raining. Jay had to run out with an umbrella through our muddy back yard and grab them for me. Luckily I was able to dry them and no damage was done.

Next I had to stain the steps:
Ikea Stool Project (9)

Then I assembled and added the felt to the bottom to avoid scratching.
Ikea Stool Project (6)

And finally done! I am still trying to decide on whether or not to polyurethane the tops or leave natural.
DSC_0353

Ikea Stool Project (3)

The girls loved their new stools. Now I need two more, one for downstairs and one for the baby’s room.
Ikea Stool Project (1)

4th of July Granite Countertops

Each summer holiday all of the Teeter family comes down to hang out at the lake together. It’s a packed house, but we always have fun together. The kids typically fish and swim all day, while the adults sit out and watch. My favorite part is usually taking all the kids jet skiing, but this year I had to sit out and watch everyone.

Earlier we had mentioned that we were going to get rid of our granite countertops during our rebuild, so Jay asked his family if the granite tops would fit at the lakehouse. The aunts all measured and figured that it would fit if was trimmed down a little.

We headed down a day earlier then everyone else, so we weren’t there when the uncles came to pick the granite up from our house. With help from our neighbors they were successful at getting it loaded into the truck. That same day the uncles all got to work uninstalling the current counter and cutting back the granite to fit. They installed it all in record time. Overall, I think they look pretty good. Plus, its a bonus anytime we can reuse instead of trash something.

Our Old House

Here is a pic of what they looked like when we had them installed in our galley kitchen in 2011 before our rebuild. Who knew we would end up redoing our whole house a couple years later.
Old kitchen counter

Teetor Lakehouse

This is a shot of the countertop’s new home. I like how the old and the new goes together. I was afraid the new granite tops would look awkward with the old kitchen cabinets.
Next they plan to redo the backsplash to fit in better with the counter tops.
Lakehouse Countertops (2)

Lakehouse Countertops

Horsing Around

I was able to get in a project over our Memorial Day weekend. I had bought this wooden horse awhile ago at a garage sale with thought of redoing it and hanging it in our front tree. The girls think the new baby will love it and they plan to help push him or her.
I had most of the supplies except for the sandpaper and polyurethane. I always have a huge issue with the sandpaper shifting, so the guy at the hardware store suggested that I tried the sticky back sandpaper. It wasn’t much more and it worked like a charm. I didn’t even have to use my hard-to-clamps on my sander. It took about 40 minutes to sand down the horse. Bye-bye 1980’s paint!

Horse Project

I wiped the horse down first and then sanded with a medium sandpaper and then a fine sandpaper to even out the lines.
Horse Project 2

Horse Project 3

Next I wiped it down with a lightly damp cloth and then stained it with left over Ebony stain from my shutters.
Horse Project 4

Horse Project 5

I let it dry overnight and decided to do another coat of stain to make it darker before applying the polyurethane. I liked how the horse turned out with the second coat. Up close you can really see the grains of the wood.
Horse Project 6

Horse Project 7

I can’t wait to get it hanging in our tree. We are going to have to beg someone with a really high ladder or try to toss it over the branch on our tallest ladder setting.